Tuesday, June 20, 2006

REBLOGGING HELL

I am not very keen about posting my personal rants about non-political issues on this site, but I am breaking the rule with this post because I am holding a gun to my head in order to ensure that this issue is addressed (that is how strongly I feel about it).

Re-blogging which I define as the copying and pasting of other peoples, opinions, news, stories, images, laundry list, etc. on one's own blog as a new post. This dreadful habit started out as a slight sniffle on a few blogs, turned very quickly into an influenza attack, and is now spreading through the blogosphere like an unstoppable pandemic. I am sure most of you must have noticed. Then why didn't you say anything?

This appalling blogger malady is an addiction. Some of the bloggers are weak enough that if they re-blog once, they continue (at an unhealthy frequency) to repeat this idiotic mistake again and again because they think that highlighting someone else's minutia is likely to entertain their own blog audience. Here's a clue: IT DOESN'T! (…majority of the time).

There's nothing wrong with occasional re-blog posts that highlight matters of interest (from the internet) that can be considered important, entertaining or even personal. But re-blogging trivial tripe 3 to 4 times a day on your blog is absolute madness. It only exhibits that you are severely lacking in original thought and that your last remaining brain cells are servicing the right click COPY and PASTE option of your mouse.

This re-blog annoyance would not matter if the original content (from another site) was accompanied with a personal opinion on the subject. That very rarely happens. What is rampant is either a full plagiaristic rip off without a single comment or link to the source, or the pasted content is accompanied by a genius analytical commentary such as "Here, look at this!"

Just to clarify my point, re-blogging is NOT syndicated content on a blog or a news site that highlights commentary on global, political or personal issues worthy of interest. Re-blogging is the bastard child of laziness and unoriginality on the internet today. Unless we start commenting and criticizing it more prominently, the future of blogging will comprise majority posts like this:

January 3rd, 2008

Here, look at this!






----

January 3rd, 2008

"Grass". As posted by another blogger.

----

January 3rd, 2008

I posted this a few minutes ago.

----

Comment: From Mr. Original:

Hey, great post! I think I'll reblog it.

----

I think I'll put the gun down until then.

9 Comments:

Blogger Zakintosh said...

Thank you (Re-commented from a previous comment ... but it was mine, so I guess it's OK).

Glad you brought it up. I had once suggested to a blogger who had lifted an entire piece from elsewhere to at least identify the real author, credit her, or something. I was told: What's the point, then?

10:26 PM  
Blogger neha vish said...

When you're pissed - you become even more funny! Incredible! Like the heroine of a Bollywood Block Buster!

3:34 AM  
Blogger sabizak said...

Although I agree with most of what you have said and plagiarism is definitely not permissible but if the proper source is acknowledged re-blogging is entirely a matter of personal choice. What you are talking about is blogging as a form of publishing but for those who are doing it essentially for themselves, reblogging may just be a way of collecting together material that they like.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Moderate Enlightenment said...

Like the heroine of a Bollywood Block Buster!

Now now, no need to insult the man just because you find him funny :-)


O Ream - I think the underlying issue is plagiariasm, and of passing on others' work as one's own. As long as the sources are correctly and clearly attributed, there should be no harm in collecting tidbits on topics that interest one - a bit like an online scrapbook. Sure, it may be of limited interest to others, but I don't think being interesting is a criteria most blogs aim to satisfy, present company excepted of course! :-)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Extiinct said...

Lol! Reading this post I'm letting go the urge of reblogging the post I did for KMB on my own blog.

8:40 AM  
Blogger the olive ream said...

ZAK, I am so glad you see my point.

Neha, a bollywood actress? lol! I think the a lollywood actress would be funnier with her "Oh, you istoopid! Oh, you get out!" routine.

Sab and ME, I agree with you both. I do not have an issue with people highlighting other peoples' content if the appropriate links and credit is mentioned. What I have an issue with is bloggers who post ubiquitous internet drivel (which is generically uninteresting) just to keep their blogs active. There's a vast difference between this and an online personal scrap book. Rebloggers have a general aim to advertise their site to a large audience, including getting themselves listed on an blog aggregator. They are usually under the impression that their reblogged content pulls in an audience, which is not true most of the time.

And what is wrong with occasionally coming up with original content?

Extiinct, re-posting your own (original) content on another of your blogs is not Reblogging. Please do re-post your KMB post to your own blog if you wish. :)

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Checkmate said...

Olive ream, I have just started blogging so I'll keep this point in mind. Thanks.

11:50 AM  
Blogger jammie said...

hey thanks for commenting in french. point remains....did you LIKE the post or not? :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger vintage said...

as long as the re-blogger has permission from the original blogger to re-blog, and as long as the re-blogger cites his/her source, i guess its alright.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home