Friday, January 20, 2006

PUBLIC APOLOGY

Never, and I mean NEVER, go in to recorded chinwag with a public radio station without being prepared. I cannot fathom, what possessed me to do this interview. I wasn't pressured into doing it, (there was no gun to my head), and neither was I promised a large amount of money (wire transfer to a Swiss bank account) for this chat yet somehow some evil, conniving voice inside my head, ("Go on, do it! I dare ya!"), convinced me that I would be able to contribute in a healthy political discourse.

After this telephonic interview, which lasted nearly an hour, I was left with this overwhelming feeling that I sounded like a complete and utter prat (a lot more than usual). The host, to his credit, tried his level best to incite some decent responses from me to fairly well thought-out questions but all he got in return were nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind. I'm having nightmares just thinking about it. My answers reflected as much political profundity as Bill O' Reilly, meaning I ended up sounding like a total ass!

So, for those of you who ended up on my site, because you heard the interview, I would like to profusely apologize for not having made sense and for offending you with my incoherent rant. I promise not do it again. For the sole listener who was adequately impressed with my verbal tirade, I appreciate your support but you are biased because you happen to be my spouse.

For those of you who have no clue what I am on about, please ignore this post and continue with your reading of the other articles on this site.

And finally, to Chelsea Merz (show producer), thank you for this opportunity and for your kind words, and to Chris Lydon (show host), for your patience and tolerance. I want you both to know that it wasn't your fault, as I didn’t even have any idea as to the level of my incompetence. I just hope you are able to edit out all the words that I said between "Hi Chris" and "Bye".

Now, I am off to register for an elocution and public speaking class, so please excuse me.

----
At the risk of personal humiliation (in case my interview is available online), I would still like to thank www.radioopensource.org for the opportunity to speak out. I believe the idea behind this radio program is very cool and encourage everyone to support their site and contribute. (Just don't try to source my interview for your entertainment – it isn't nice to laugh at someone's misfortune).

Update Jan 21st, 2006 - Due to an incessant request from a dear friend I have had to insert a link to my interview in the post above. This wasn't my idea and you have been warned.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Potter/ROS listener-supporter said...

Oh nonsense!-- you were just fine. And thanks!
I'll check on you here now.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Hani said...

You were great! What hit me most was the openness and honesty with which you confronted political issues, we hardly get to hear this kind of straight-forward voicing of opinions anymore.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Christopher Lydon said...

Dear Omer: Your lovely post is a classic transcription of a man
hearing his voice for the first time. The truth which will come to you in a day or two is that you spoke beautifully and said some important things that we all need to hear. Have a little mercy on yourself--and on all of us who make a living talking. Not on Bill O'Reilly, but on the very large slice of humanity (now including you) who make their way
with "that fabulous instrument," as Studs Terkel calls it, "vox
humana." Very best wishes and thanks, Chris Lydon

10:53 AM  
Blogger Zakintosh said...

As for being misquoted, that's a Media Speciality. Many years ago I was talking about Amazon's early days during a debate at the British Council and Dawn (DAWN!!!) reported: "During the lecture Kidwani mentioned a new type of experiential bookstall in New Zealand" ... So, now, I am prepared fro ANYTHING!

Wasn't half bad, the interview, Omer. What are you sribbing about? Did you really expect to hear yourself sound like Richard Burton?

2:48 PM  
Blogger the olive ream said...

Potter - thanks for your support and you are welcome to peruse my wares anytime.

Hani - as always your words and support mean a lot... much appreciated and thank you!

Chris - Thank you very much for your kind words. What is ironic is it wasn't my first time on radio. I had a brief stint on US public radio during my college days so I have heard myself on 'air' but apparently, I am still not comfortable with it.

ZAK - Never Richard Burton, possibly James Earl Jones or the guy who does the Voice-over for most hollywood movie trailers.. :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Teeth Maestro said...

Omer - you honeslty werent bad - i think u rocked - good job - i personally think you articulated the words well. Dont beat yourself about it you were good - and I agree with Chris you are just freaking up after hearing your own voice for the first time.

Good job

12:34 AM  
Blogger the olive ream said...

Awab (Teeth Maestro) - Thanks so much for your support and praise. I think I might need to address my self deprecating nature...it is beginning to annoy me as well.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Daithí said...

Huh! You sounded great.

You addressed the issues well and with comfort...

It was great to hear a voice to go with the blog!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Amr Malik said...

Omer, you interviewed very well.. And an excellent blog! I've added it to my RSS feed and hope to read more of it!

take care,

Amer

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought your contribution was the best on a very very good program. I hope you will appear again.

Thank you.

oppradio
www.oppositionradio.org

10:33 PM  
Blogger feveri said...

It was surely an awesome interview. I agree with people who said that you probably were freaked out hearing your voice for the first time publicly but hey, great job dude!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home