Wednesday, September 21, 2005

OPEN MOUTH; INSERT ARMY BOOT

"A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped." President Pervez Musharaf's comment in the Washington Post article (13/09/05).

With the successful completion of the United Nations World Summit of 2005, (which concluded with a loud whimper), we can now all rest easy in our beds knowing that nothing really conclusive has been achieved by the world leaders (as per usual).

The only thing that really made news around the world was President Musharaf's now infamous quote to Washington Post. There was a loud thud that reverberated around the world as collective jaws of the people (especially Pakistani women) hit the floor. To say we were all flabbergasted would be an understatement. In Pakistan, hospitals emergency wards were inundated with patients suffering from massive coronaries and violent vomiting spells due to the resulting shock and dismay.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING, can justify, qualify, or excuse such a retarded response to a question relating to the serious issue of rape victims in Pakistan. President Musharaf, has since clarified his position by claiming that he was "misquoted". We all hope (as Pakistanis) that this is true, and that somehow the Washington Post reporter, high on mixture of alcohol and drugs, decided to type these offensive words demeaning Pakistani women and wrongfully associate them to Musharaf.

Even if Musharaf was narrating the words of someone else, and he is not of the same opinion, the IQ has to drop sharply below double digits for one to repeat such nonsensical views in front of the foreign press.

Apart from the massive anger it generated, the following incident occurred as a direct consequence to this idiotic quote appearing in print.

X: Good morning.

Mr. Y: Good morning, how can I help you?

X: I'd like for you to issue me Canadian visa please.

Mr. Y: Well, first you will have to provide us with a completed visa application form and related required documents, before we can assess if you qualify for visa.

X: I qualify, I have been raped.

Mr. Y: What?!

X: Yes, raped! And as you are well aware, Mr. Musharaf said that if I 'get myself raped', I will be granted a Canadian visa.

Mr. Y: That is utter rubbish and is highly offensive!

X: Alright, then what about the million dollars? I can at least get the million dollars right?

Mr. Y: Absolutely not!

X: Oh man, what a jib! You mean I don't get anything for getting myself raped?

Mr. Y: No. And by the way SIR, who may I ask raped you?

X: The system! … "The meek shall inherit the earth?" Not bloody likely. I can't even get a visa to Canada!

10 Comments:

Blogger Shahid said...

LOL - has this episode since been clarified?

It sounds like it's easier to get to Canada from Pakistan than it is from the UK anyhow!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Hani said...

Musharraf is a politician after all and we need to remember that. And as we know that politicians only (most of the time) work for their own motives and interests. They don't give a bloody damn what happens to the rest of us.

Musharraf's statement is highly offensive to me (as a woman) highly humiliating and something to be ashamed of (as a Pakistani living in the West) and highly stupid! Down with Musharraf.

I was watching the local news last night and Musharraf apparently said "I'm not as stupid and silly to say something like that" I laughed out loud. First off, how in the world can it be misquoted if he never said it in the first place. He must have atleast hinted this if its all over the print and electronic media.

Wtf was he thinking when he made that statement?! He probably thought that Pakistani women are too weak to protest. I'm glad I'm majoring in Women's Studies & Engl Lit. Now I can protest against him AND write in the newspapers, hurrah!

Except that Pakistani newspapers don't allow freedom of speech. Wonderful *rolls eyes* Oh well, atleast I can write to the local papers here.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Ramana Siddharth said...

hi!i too was disgusted by Musharraf's alleged statement.but knowing the leaders from both our countries(i am indian btw)i am not all that surprised.anyways indo-pak peace talks are a farce.both sides are rigid and play stupid political games.its nice 2 read what a pakistani brother has 2 say!!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Zakintosh said...

Well, it's obvious how I got to your blog ... just followed the yellow brick road. Wish I'd gotten here earlier . Read all the previous posts, too. Great stuff. Keep it up

I'm not sure which of the two chaps was high on alcohol and drugs.

For Hani: As far as the president's claiming that he is not so stupid as to say this, how can we be sure? After all, he did claim to have "personally ordered" preventing Mukhtaaraañ Mai to trvel to the USA.

(As Edith Sitwell said: "I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.")

11:24 PM  
Blogger Mina said...

hahahaha! good show.

3:43 PM  
Blogger BeanZ said...

Very edgy, seat-of-the-pants blog. Thanks for including me in your Global Voices post and for introducing me to your blog.

May citizen journalism flourish ...

Peace (although I have no idea what that word means anymore).

2:48 PM  
Blogger Hani said...

my name .

1:39 AM  
Blogger Zakintosh said...

Looks like Mush only opens his mouth to change feet!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous jia ghazal said...

above comments shows mushraf's gheep tninking.he can not under stand womens fellings but MR MUSHARAF
'U ALSO HAVE WIFE SISTER
MOTHER IF SAME HAPPEND
WITH THEM THEN WILL UR WORDS B SAME.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous jia ghazal said...

above comments shows mushraf's gheep tninking.he can not under stand womens fellings but MR MUSHARAF
'U ALSO HAVE WIFE SISTER
MOTHER IF SAME HAPPEND
WITH THEM THEN WILL UR WORDS B SAME.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home